After nearly 35 years in our industry, Mark La Bonte, SR/WA, has decided to formally retire from his career at OPC.
We speak for all of his colleagues in IRWA and at OPC, now a division of TranSystems, when we wish him a happy retirement!
Mark first got into right of way in 1988. Like so many of OPC’s current staff, Mark got his start working as an employee of Caltrans. He then went to Southern California civil engineering firm Willdan Associates in 1991. Mark joined OPC when it was still known as Pacific Relocation Consultants in 1995. As a leader in our community of practice, he can look back over his career in right of way with pride.
An IRWA-credentialed Senior Right of Way professional, Mark is known widely for his expertise in complex business relocations, State and Federally funded roadway projects, and major transit programs. Just a sample of the projects that Mark has played a leading role in making a reality include:
- LA Metro A (Blue), B (Red), and D (Purple) Light Rail Lines
- Riverside County Transportation Commission SR-91 Corridor Improvement & HOV Projects
- Orange County Transportation Authority I-5, SR-22, and SR-55 Improvement Programs
- LAX Automated People Mover Landside Access Modernization Program
- Port of Long Beach Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement and Pier B On-Dock Rail
In addition to his project work, Mark was active in Region 1 and IRWA Chapter 67 to develop the next generation of R/W experts. With the value of his experience, we hope that he will continue to share his knowledge and join IRWA events as an emeritus member of our community.
For those of us in Southern California, we see the work that Mark has done everyday to make so many public infrastructure projects a reality. Thank you, Mark, and happy retirement!